Thursday, March 30, 2006

No Longer Moved By the News

I'm no longer moved by the news.
The protest chants of strident youth
the battle cries of long in tooth
expert pronouncements on environment and health
economists warnings for employment and wealth
murder, mayhem, crises, disaster
a heartwarming animal tale for after
oops no mention of the starving MILLIONS
whilst war in Iraq approaches the TRILLIONS

I'm not buying into the name.
My house is a home not a glossy magazine
my clothes have no label, I'm not part of a scene
I can cook and grow food in the ground
listen to music, create my own sound
I don't have to shout from the roof that I'm right
and tolerant enough that there's no need to fight
and, although this poem is a protest of sorts
I'm able to write and think my own thoughts

I'm equal you are different.
Though I'm peaceful I know I could kill
endanger my family I possibly will
if you've suffered misfortune, there's space on my floor
If your eyes say you're using I'll show you the door
Psychopath , molester, poor and the rich
angel and saint, wizard and witch
grower and dealer, straight and the queer
I've known them all, and the crosses they bear.

I'm not afraid of truth.
'Just telling the truth' is a game people play
to hurt, put down, or win their own way
deep in their heart they know its deception
and keep their honesty from their reflection
Its simple to be enlightened and true
just listen to the voice inside of you
so if indeed you pass this test
may you life be full and blessed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Crunchy Weta said...

OK Ok I'm going to leave off all this rhyming stuff for a while. Jus got carried away is all

Thursday, March 30, 2006 2:26:00 AM  
Blogger (c) sleight of mind 2006 said...

Good intent though. Why is it nowadays when we read or write rhyming poetry it seems a little, i don't know, 'twee'?

Saw a great movie the other week called 'yes', the whole thing was in iambic pentameter.

Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Arson H. Waterwood said...

Love this! Absolutly love this!

p.s.

last line, small typo, you, should be your. ;)

Friday, June 16, 2006 12:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this it is so full of who you are and who you are not..thank you for sharing you with us..M

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 9:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how you took this and made it all so personal. And although I never have the heart to try rhyming, there's something about the use of it in this poem that works for me.

Friday, October 13, 2006 9:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home