Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Man Who Wasn't There

For Ashraf and family

I remember walking, then nothing, then
a crack thud cacophony and unholy heat
flesh rent and welded, yielding
macabre meat mash sculptures
carelessy flung upon adze edged mounds
ex-spaces ex-homes ex-lives ex-posed.
With nacrous eyes and metallic mouth I rose.
I noted my legs moved - but not for long.
I collapsed, grateful for the advice to lie down,
and the warm blanket offered.
In the dust, I found myself lost.

What can be named that doesn't exist?

A soft fog dissolves first the edges
then the material of my matter
I am haunted by dim bells and Gregorian chants
A faint scent of dew-bound Magnolia
sweetens my breath and slowly numbs my nose
My hands gently folded,
I rest in peace.

When Words Are Not Enough - Warning:Graphic Reality 1 2 3 4



Save Lebanon

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger ozymandiaz said...

I am nearly at a loss of words here. The ugliness and the beauty...profound. Artfully graphic and dutifully morose.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very tasteful, honest approach and a beautiful tribute! I think you managed to shed a little light on the darkness if that's possible. I would say the vampires have not consumed all of your empathy after all Glenn!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger rohn bayes said...

pretty cool
inspired

may we find strength
in the midst of turmoil
may we find peace
in the midst of hatred
may we find acceptance for what is
in denial of what can never be

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 8:41:00 PM  
Blogger Russell Ragsdale said...

This was from the inside Glenn, Awsome! Sorry I missed out on your teriffic poetry carnival. I've been so busy lately. Mind if I link up?

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:35:00 AM  
Blogger arch.memory said...

Glenn,
This is astounding, utterly astounding! I read it the other day, and then I read it again today, and again... Those words are certainly more than enough, which is a feat. My words have just been failing me miserably... Bravo, and thank you so much!
-Ashraf

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:17:00 PM  
Blogger rch said...

Hey Glenn,

Very powerful and sad also. I love the first two lines of the last verse. Too bad what inspired it. Take care,

Bob

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:35:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Prime (tpm/Confession Zero) said...

dew-bound Magnolias... beautiful...

Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:12:00 PM  
Blogger Crunchy Weta said...

Thanks all. Russell of course you may (and i'll happily reciprocate too)

Saturday, July 22, 2006 4:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home