Friday, July 07, 2006

Mad Woman and Dobermen (Apologies to Joe)

For Leigh Who Was There.

She, garbed in velvet dresses
Strawberry blonde her crowning tresses
- fire and ice - sugar and spice
Constructed herself a castle.
A fortress with walls of her own logic
Reinforced by twisted steel.
Below, the foundations,
Dark dungeons of despicable depravity
Where demons lurked and gnawed.
Above, turrets of torments past,
Always on the lookout.
She cherished her precious red jewel
And her trustworthy Doberman
Flawless in her devotion.

Her prince, having pledged his fealty,
Thus boundbyher laws of gangland loyalty
His love always one step beneath her trust,
Watched his friends picked off
One by one
By perceived but imaginary lusts.
On and on ad ultimatum.

The doberman, faithful to a fault,
Channelling her psyche,
Hounded his friends at the gates.
Their visits admissions of guilt
Evidenced by calls to justice
Fear and unfair.

Ironically her logic was infallible. Indeed

The call of his friend
Who'd cried his departure
Was the key to the end
Of this no win disaster.
Humbled by the lessons learned
A man emerged, Scarred and burned.
The princess though tis sad to say
Is none the wiser to this day.

Version By The Unknown


Version By Crunchy Weta

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Crunchy Weta said...

There you go Leigh. I had to write this now as I wasn't writing anything way back then. Twas a bit hard even to remember that long ago!

Friday, July 07, 2006 6:58:00 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Weta said...

Normal programming will resume as soon as possible...

Saturday, July 08, 2006 6:16:00 AM  
Blogger katy said...

glenn, i know i have some poems to catch up on here (have been half on holiday from blogging and have busy busy busy with the tourist season in full swing), but just wanted to give you a round of applause for stepping up and hosting the carnival next week ^_^

*claps*

Saturday, July 08, 2006 7:04:00 PM  
Blogger ozymandiaz said...

I have spent time in those dungeons, bound whipped and poorly fed. Yet a kindred sadness compelled me to return. And when at last I was cast out and ordered to be "free" another dungeon would I find.
Like a criminal on a traveling crime spree thru mid-evil Europe, I would caress into on fortress after the next, testing the steel of manacles provided by each.
Horrors rest in those dark places. Ultimately, each dungeon was not for those who would visit, as I did, but for the fortress above.
The best I could do is eat a rat or two while I was there, and perhaps carry my chains with me when I left.
Wonderful and insightful work sir.

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:47:00 AM  
Blogger Yasmin Waring said...

This is so operatic.

I couldn't help but think of TURNADOT (Where the princess decapitates her suitors who can't solve her riddle).

And for all the heightened drama, there is so much truth there.

Monday, July 10, 2006 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger rch said...

Hey Glenn, very interesting tale here. I really like the descriptions in the first verse, very vivid, and while I can't say I get the whole thing it is very compelling. If I may ask, why is Scarred capitalized at the end? Enjoyed as usual.

Take care,

Bob

Monday, July 10, 2006 2:11:00 PM  
Blogger Crunchy Weta said...

Ozy - takes one to know one. Once through the wringer was enough for me, but I did have my own karmic treadmill to run through.
Yasmin- heightened drama! - I barely scratched the surface! And its all true (well I'm only guessing about the end results for the princess as I have no real interest to find out - but it would be my best guess. That and it made for a nice rhyming couplet to finish (with)!)
Bob- for once I don't know if there is anything to get! - Tis a true tale. The S is probably a mistake... i originally had it as another line then thought better of it. BUt now that you have brought it to my atttention I think I quite like it :-)

Thanks for all your comments .
Glenn

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:02:00 PM  
Blogger (c) sleight of mind 2006 said...

Hi Glenn, just got back from holiday, first thing to do - check your site. Like this poem and I'm glad you got out :)

Leigh

Sunday, July 16, 2006 1:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home